Thursday, May 3, 2012

Lullabies

Many women, including me, sing lullabies to their children. It’s something that babies enjoy, and often even older children find it soothing. Lullabies are a great way to soothe your children, assure them of your love, pray a blessing over them, or teach them about Jesus. Here are some special lullabies that I sing to my baby.

The first one is a lullaby my mom wrote for me when I was a baby. She had never liked the words to the traditional “Rock-A-Bye Baby” song. It’s all about a baby falling out of a tree…not the most comforting thought. So she wrote a version with the same tune that she liked better, and I sing it now to my little girl. 

Rock-a-bye baby, in mommy’s arms,
Lying so snug and safe from all harm.
Now, as you slowly drift off to sleep,
May Jesus bring you dreams so sweet.



The second one was also written by my mom, but years later when I was a teenager. She would sing it to my younger sisters. I call this one the Blessing Lullaby.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May His face always shine upon you.
May you serve the Lord Jesus all the days of your life
That you may dwell in the house of the Lord.



The third one I wrote for my baby while I was pregnant. I had about an hour drive to where I was teaching part time and I wrote this in the car one day.

Little baby, sleeping gently,
Rest while I hold you,
There’s nothing to fear.
Little baby, sleeping angel,
Know that I love you
And I always will.




Are there any special lullabies that you sing to your children? Comment below to share them.


Linked up with WLWW, No Ordinary Blog Hop, WFMW, and Yes They're All Ours.

6 comments:

  1. We listened to the album "Sleep Sound in Jesus" with all 4 children so we could all sing along. Those are the lullabies I remember! love from Mary Ann in Dickson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard those as well. They're very relaxing. Thanks for stopping by, Mary Ann!

      Delete
  2. When I had a chance, I sang you this song. "What kind of music does a rainbow make. What kind of song does it sing." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5XAq2bSEbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that Grandma. You even gave me a casette tape with you singing that song, as I recall.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for linking up with us at No Ordinary Blog Hop. I will enjoy getting to know you. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! Thank you for sharing these lullabies. I have always sung to my children. And always sung them to sleep. Yes, I sing the classics but was amazed to discover in a moment of desperation when nothing seemed to be helping them calm down, that other songs worked too. So I started singing everything from old hymns and nursery rhymes to Motown and folk songs. Add in a few from my favorite movies and the repertoire just keeps growing! My children are 10, 7, and 5 now, but they still like to hear mommy sing them to sleep. Thank you for bringing back some good memories from their younger years . . . and for linking up with NOBH! Smiles -

    ReplyDelete